Department of Special and Area Studies Collections
University of Florida, George A. Smathers Libraries
Travel grants up to $2,500 are available to undertake research between August 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020 with UF’s Special and Area Studies Collections. Proposals are due Friday, May 17, 2019 with award notifications expected the week of June 17, 2019.
Judging criteria include prioritization for interdisciplinary research / use of more than one collection and a feasible, tangible publication outcome (e.g., an article, dissertation or book chapter). Awardees must travel 100 miles or farther to be eligible.
In addition to grants for use of any collection, proposals on the following topics will dedicated funding:
• Jewish culture, life, religion in Florida, Latin America, and/or the Caribbean
• African American experience and history
• Constitutional law, and women and people of color in the legal profession
• The American era of the Panama Canal, the Panama Canal Zone and Panama Canal
• History of science, biomedicine and the humanities, and intellectual property
Please direct submissions to Suzan Alteri. These must include:
• Title and description of proposed project (approx. 500 words), including identification of relevant materials for consultation
• Budget estimate for travel, lodging and other expenses including:
– Transportation costs to and from Gainesville, Florida
– Housing costs for a maximum of two weeks
• Statement affirming applicant’s commitment to submit a report at the end of the
residency, including permission to use the report for promotions
• CV or résumé
• Name, postal address, telephone number, and a valid email address
Awardees must use our collections onsite and submit a report (approx. 500 words) describing the research visit by June 30, 2020. Distribution of award occurs after submission of report and payment paperwork. Dates of research should be coordinated with appropriate curators.
Please note that researchers from outside the US who stay 10 days or longer will be required to apply for a J-1 Visa.
QUESTIONS? If you have questions about the suitability of your proposal or need information on any aspect of the program, please contact Suzan Alteri by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).